Monday 2 June 2008

Tax on Breathing?

Ok, I get the point of taxing fossil fuels. I might not like paying so much in duty and VAT on petrol, but I do understand. I could do without city traders making a quick buck by gambling on its future price and adding fuel to the fire (geddit!) but such is life.

I got a bike for my birthday. I know I'm a bit old for such a gift, but it's a lovely thing with great riding position and really efficient skinny tyres. I might even be able to ride to work, if I get a bit fitter, saving the planet, money, and the NHS from my impeding heart attack. So how shocked was I when I glanced at the receipt for my new purchase and it showed the really sizeable chunk of VAT my family had just shelled out? Please, Mr Darling, can this be so? Can I really be taxed for wanting to get fit, drive less and save the world? What next, tax on tree hugging? Seriously, are you taxing the CO2 emissions I'll breathe out when riding it? We should be told.

No comments: